Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I work part-time for a group of radio stations in the Hudson Valley as a DJ. There’s five stations in all, three of which I can be found on on the air at any given time. Three different stations means three different formats, in this case rock, mix and country, a sort of format schizophrenia for me. Today I was on the mix station and as I was playing a Savage Garden song I thought to myself this is possibly the most misleading band name of all time. If I were in high school back in my day and had heard of a band called Savage Garden I most probably would have gone right out and bought the record sight unheard. That’s the kind of thing I did back then in my unending search to hear something new, unknown and possibly cool. My searches also leaned towards heavy metal, so…Savage Garden? Hell, that name practically screams heavy metal doesn’t it? A savage garden of rock I would have thought, a garden of savage roll, it had my name written all over it right? Boy, would I have been wrong. And If I had listened to the whole thing? I would’ve had to go back to the music section at the Caldor department store the next day to sue them for the fact that I woke up gay. Spandau Ballet had more balls for god’s sake. Savage Garden? That’s like Led Zeppelin being named Plant’s Polka Pompadours or Black Sabbath calling themselves Pretty Poodle. Sorry, I’m stuck on P’s for the moment, I don’t know why. Maybe I need to find my old Planet P Project record (dating myself). Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow, without a name change, takes on a whole new meaning in the brave new world where I might have thought that Savage Garden could be a heavy metal band huh? Anyway…

No comments: